Video Case Study
Hello, this is Paul – Findlay-Evans Waterproofing, Liquid Rubber Melbourne. We’ve got a case study here on a roof top in Albert Street in East Melbourne. It’s the CoInvest Building. We were asked to come in by a facilities manager to inspect the roof first of all to see if there’s anything we can do about it.
This roof has been leaking for many years and many have come and tried a remediation on it. There is a big underlying issue on this particular roof. Many people have come and put patches all over it to try and stop leaks intermittently.
The leaks are basically being caused by in this particular case by a bitumen base that’s been laid when the original building was built. The someone has come along and put an acrylic membrane on top of that. The gas builds up from the bitumen as soon as it heats up but blowing holes in the membrane and causing leaks.
So we had a task ahead of us to get that one sorted. So what we had to do was to work our way through the various areas. As you can see it’s an extremely busy roof with lots of equipment. We opened up some sections and found the bitumen was throughout the whole building which was naturally expected.
Once we thoroughly cleaned the job, we went through meticulous preparation. Each and every up stand, joint, junction, post – everything had to be detailed at length. Then a reinforcing fabric was installed over the entire job and all the pop up stands as well just to make sure we had a good tough membrane.
The areas where the bitumen had caused a lot of devastation down in the existing membrane we cut out completely. We treated them to a coat of our Thermo coat to isolate the bitumen. Then filled it with grout and floated it up. There were lots of low spots in the roof that was allowing water to pool. They were also floated up with screed and coated with our system.
Once we had everything prepared with the fiberglass matting we then proceeded to put our Thermo Top Coat on. This went down in many layers and getting everything detailed up. Once we had it to a stage where we could work out where the out gassing was happening we out in many vents and the vents were delineated with the yellow colour – that and all trip hazards were all delineated with yellow so that there was no potential trips.
The job was completed and the project manager came to inspect it and was delighted to see the end result and the job worked out to be really good.
A Waterproofing Company That Thinks Construction
Registered Building Practitioner & Certified Waterproofers
P: (03) 8812 2918